Monday, October 20, 2003

The recent trip up to Bellevue and the Seattle area reminds me, in conjunction with one of the staff favorites on the Apple iTunes Music Store, of the last time my family went up to Washington, when my aunt and uncle and cousins were brand new to Bellevue in 1986. The main things I remember about that trip were an image - the sky, overcast, as we passed through Tacoma near the end of our journey north toward Lake Washington, past 255th (or some other incredibly high number) Street; and listening to Suzanne Vega's eponymously titled debut album on my cassette player.

Every so often, as I realize that the music of my youth is turning twenty, or twenty-five, it reminds me that I'm not just a grown-up. I'm those people who, when I was younger, were remembering the "summer of love", and Woodstock, and disco. That was my senior year in high school, the year that Sgt. Pepper came out on CD 20 years after its original release. Now I'm the one reminiscing about Suzanne Vega and Stop Making Sense and Men at Work (Business as Usual was voted top album of 1982-1983 by my seventh grade class).

I think I'm starting to get it now...

No comments: