Saturday, March 15, 2003

Charlie Daniels is a mite annoyed with people exercising their First Amendment rights. He has an open letter. I responded:
Mr. Daniels:

How dare you? What makes you think that anybody wants to hear the rantings of an overpaid, brie-eating celebrity such as yourself? Do you think that just because your name is well-known that your opinion is worth anything at all?

...

I certainly hope you are able to locate the fallacies in the preceding paragraph. Of course, as an American, you have every right to shoot your damn fool mouth off. That's your right. As is it mine. As is it Sean Penn's, Bill O'Reilly's, Susan Sarandon's, Sean Hannity's, and even Tamara Saviano's. That's one of the many things that makes this country so great.

And shoot your damn fool mouth off you do, sir. I hope you have sources to back up your assertions, because I, for one, don't just believe everything some fool tells me, even if that fool has been in the movies, on television, or on country music radio.

Perhaps you ought to leave the small town and move to the big city, where you could be exposed to many different points of view, which might challenge your ways of thinking. There are millions of us (check the recent polls) who don't support a unilateral invasion of Iraq. We are sincere, we are informed, and we love America enough to tell our President we think he is wrong.

I hope you will take a step back, count to ten, and take a second to consider the notion that your rather frothy rant may be somewhat overblown. As one who is fully committed to peace, yet realistic enough to know that that is not always possible, I do (although you may not believe it) wish you well.

Yours,

J DeVries.

I hope I don't get fired for this.

No comments: