Monday, March 29, 2004

Touch-tone Amway

MRJEFF's apartment manager dropped by this evening with AN AMAZING OPPORTUNITY for me to SAVE 20% OR MORE on my phone bill. ACN, he said. And handed me a sign-up form (already mostly filled out, for my convenience).

It looked good. But he'd tried something like this in the past, when roomie and I first moved in. Manager Jason is an entrepreneur*, you see. And I was concerned about the "deadline". I need to send this in today, he said. I told him it looked interesting, but I'd need to look it over. Research. Consult with my roommate Mike. I'd let him know tomorrow. Tomorrow's fine. Let me know before 10. That's my deadline.

So off to Google I go. BBB says there are no complaints about the service. And then. A link, to a site on an anti-MLM webring. Multi-Level Marketing, the pyramid scheme's slightly more reputable brother. ACN, it turns out is not primarily selling telephone service. Rather, it's promoting "opportunity" - the opportunity to sign people up, in the hopes of making money off them. Touch-tone Amway.

* For more information about MRJEFF's apartment manager, visit http://heartsofpassion.org. Opportunities abound!

No comments: